Applicant for this job will be responsible for the planning, scheduling, directing and controlling of the maintenance operations of the Bus Garage. This involves the supervision of licence coach technicians, body persons, and other semi-skilled and unskilled employees. The incumbents manage cleaning, servicing, inspection, maintenance, repair and emergency road services functions for both revenue and non-revenue vehicles in order to provide safe, clean and mechanically reliable vehicles to the Operations Department. Under the direction of the Maintenance Manager the incumbent may be called upon to conduct training sessions, technical investigations and undertake procedural quality audits. The incumbent may be required to substitute for other supervisory staff, including the Maintenance Manager during periods of absences. The incumbent will be responsible for the calling, inspection and quality of work for the mileage and date (MTO) based inspection processes, as well as all associated repairs. The incumbent must be, as a minimum, a high school graduate, should hold a valid Coach Technicians 310T licence and have a valid G drivers license with the ability to attain at least a CZ licence designation. Performing related duties as assigned.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Planning, scheduling, directing, controlling and generally supervising all aspects of the maintenance operations in the bus garage. This work includes preventive and corrective maintenance, technical support, legislative and usage based inspections and bus cleaning and servicing. It involves supervising the work of licensed coach technicians and body repair/painters, certified wheel installers and unskilled utility persons.
Specific duties may include, but not limited to the following;
- Provide sufficient numbers of clean, serviced and safe buses to the Operations Department as scheduled.
- Performing MTO safety inspections, completing and signing MTO certificates, affixing the associated stickers and maintaining the necessary documentation.
- Perform random quality checks to ensure that repairs and maintenance functions that are made to vehicle systems are correct and meet MTO, the regions and Veolia’s standards.
- Perform inspection quality checks to ensure all servicing and cleaning functions are carried out according to current procedures and standard operating practices.
- Liaise with the Operations Department when receiving calls concerning mechanical failures of vehicles on the road and determine the correct course of action to minimise delays to the public.
- Conduct technical investigations into component failures and maintenance problems as required.
- Ensure that all vehicle repairs and data information are correct and entered into the maintenance program, run reports to identify maintenance program performance and associated failure analysis.
- Identify training needs of employees, ensure new technologies and methods are investigated and implemented where appropriate (multi-plex, new control systems, communications systems, ect.)
- Conduct refresher training and information meetings as deemed necessary.
- Performing licence and certification audits, ensuring employees are trained on all job related equipment and everyone has current safety orientation of all aspects of the garage.
- Establish work schedules and adjust as necessary, accounting for absences due to training, vacations, unfilled vacancies, employee absenteeism, to ensure sufficient manpower is available to meet scheduled bus service requirements,
- Ensure all work is prioritised, on schedule, through the effective use of materials, labour and facility resources.
- Preparing various reports, worksheets, estimates, correspondence, minutes of meetings and other documentation as requested.
- Make recommendations and suggestions as to work methods and procedures and identifying and implementing cost saving opportunities.
- Performing tests, evaluations and estimates to ensure that products and equipment provided are in accordance with required technical performance and quality specifications.
- Ordering material, parts, equipment and supplies; ensuring that an adequate supply is on hand by determining needs, reviewing inventory and sources of supply.
- Maintaining discipline and promoting harmony in the garage; ascertaining facts to resolve complaints and minor grievances.
- Perform annual Employee Performance Appraisals, counselling employees as required as to how to meet expectations and improve their performance and progress in their careers.
- Ensure all union agreements, departmental, contractual obligations are followed fairly and consistently. Legislated regulations include but are not limited to, the Ontario Human Rights Code, Ontario Labour Relations Act, Ontario Occupational Health and Safety Act, Ontario Highway Safety Act, Environmental Protection Act, Collective Agreement, Corporate Safety Plan and any other policy documents that may be issued.
- Investigating injuries, accidents and other workplace incidents and taking the appropriate action to prevent or minimize reoccurrences.
- Participate in all safety initiatives, safety talks, JHSC meetings and address all concerns in a timely manner.
- Contribute to budget planning by providing costs or estimates by reviewing work requirements, estimating labour, materials, equipment and other associated costs.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.